fontas food

eating my way through suburbia

Sunday, July 25, 2004

My challenge today...riffing on the LA Times article about stuffed vegetables (registration required), I decided that I would try to make a "low point" entree.

Here are most of the ingredients (I forgot to put the onion and garlic on the table):



In recipe speak:

6 Cousa summer squashes
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup reduced fat ricotta cheese
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
fresh spinach (no idea how much as I bought it by the bag at the farmer's market)
10 oz. ground turkey breast meat
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (Walla Walla's are in season!)
1/2 T. olive oil
1 T. flat-leaf parsley, fresh, finely chopped
1 t. basil, fresh, finely chopped
salt and pepper

I took the top bits off the squashes and hollowed them out. Sprinkle some salt on them and turn them upside-down on some paper towels. They can sit there while the rest of the action is taking place.

Steam the spinach. Once it's cooked, drain it and let cool.

Meanwhile, chop everything that needs chopping. Mix together the tomatoes, cheese, peppers, and herbs.

Brown turkey meat in a non-stick pan. Set aside to cool. (BTW, my initial 10 0z. cooked down to 7.75 oz.)

In the same pan, heat olive oil and add onion. Cook until starting to soften, then add garlic. Cook until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.

Squeeze any excess fluid from the spinach and coarsely chop. Add to vegetable-cheese mixture. Add turkey and onions and garlic. Mix well.

Invert squash and wipe dry with a paper towel. Stuff mixture into hollows. Mine looks like this:



Serves 6 (although only 3 are shown here) at 2.5 points per serving. Yowza!

I will update this when I've cooked these puppies...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home