fontas food

eating my way through suburbia

Monday, October 15, 2007

Recipe : Braised Pork Shank with Chiles

Recently, Elise Bauer of Simply Recipes blogged about Chile Verde. In the past, I've attempted to recreate the "green chile" available at the El Rancho Hotel of Gallup, New Mexico. I think I succeeded in that attempt but I had never tried the thick, porky stew-like Mexican dish available here in California. I'd planned on using my Bledsoe pork shoulder for chile verde but then changed my mind (as I am wont to do). However, after buying a pork shank from Bob Sorensen of Coffee Pot Ranch at the Auburn Farmers' Market, I figured it was incumbent upon me to defrost some of my roasted Anaheim peppers, get off the stick, and make some chile verde!

What I ended up making is nothing like the Chile Verde of Simply Recipes but it was a filling, home-style version of this classic Mexican dish.

And it tasted damn good!



Chile Verde

Serves 2

1 T. olive oil
1 fresh pork shank
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. cumin seed
1/4 tsp. oregano
1 bay leaf
2 roasted and peeled Anaheim peppers*
250 mL white wine

* you can substitute tinned chiles if fresh are not available

Heat the oil in a heavy pot. Brown the pork shank on all sides and then remove from the pan. Reduce heat slightly and add the onion and garlic to the pan. Saute until they are just beginning to soften, then add the cumin seed and oregano to the pot. Continue to cook until the herbs are fragrant, then add the bay leaf, peppers, and wine.

Return the meat to the pot, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until the pork is tender, about 2 hours.

Remove the pork shanks from the pot and cut the meat from the bone. Return the meat to the pot and allow to simmer for a few minutes.

Serve with rice, refried beans, and tortillas.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home