fontas food

eating my way through suburbia

Monday, October 08, 2007

Recipe: Borscht

October 6, 2007

A few weeks ago, the eGullet Foodblog followed the week of Pille, a young Estonian woman. One of her dishes that week was borscht; the picture alone stayed with me for weeks. (See Pille's pictures and recipe on her blog, Nami-nami.)

When I saw piles of beets at the farmer's market this morning, I knew that borscht was in my future.

Unfortunately, that thought went straight out my head when I was looking at the fresh dill, wondering whether or not to buy any. I didn't and then cursed myself when I was cooking the borscht. After checking my Gundel's cookbook to see if Hungarians made borscht and, if they did, which seasonings they used, I decided to season my pot with caraway seed rather than dried dill.

(I have no idea whether or not Hungarians make borscht or not. I do know that there is not a recipe for it in the Gundel's cookbook. There is, however, a very interesting-looking recipe for a caraway-seasoned broth served with poached eggs. That will be in my future too!)

Borscht
Serves 4 as a main course.

borscht

1 T. olive oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. caraway seed
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 medium beets, peeled and cut into matchsticks
5 cups vegetable broth (I made mine with Knorr vegetable bouillon cubes)
1 cup Brussels sprouts, cut into chiffonade
1 cup beet greens, shredded

salt and pepper to taste
creme fraiche and chopped fresh chives for garnish

Heat the oil in a heavy pot. Add the onions and cook until soft. Stir in the caraway seeds and continue to cook until they are fragrant. Add carrots and beets to pot and then all of the broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat.

Cook for about 20 minutes or until root vegetables are just tender; add the Brussels sprouts and beet greens. Continue to cook until all vegetables are soft.

Season with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with a spoonful of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chopped chives.

3 Comments:

Blogger KellytheCulinarian said...

Sounds good and quite hearty.

October 8, 2007 at 2:12 p.m.  
Blogger jen said...

Thanks, Kelly. It is a hearty meal but not a heavy one. For once I didn't fall into a trap that has got me before...this time, I managed to resist the temptation to add meat!

October 8, 2007 at 6:14 p.m.  
Blogger Pille said...

Love the idea of adding sprouts and beet greens to the borscht!

December 28, 2012 at 8:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home