fontas food

eating my way through suburbia

Monday, October 08, 2007

October 24, 2004

And with it, my yen for fall dishes can be fulfilled.

(Yes, I'm finally home from Texas and Oklahoma! Yippeee!)

The first dish to satisfy the "fall food" requirement was braised red cabbage. Here is a picture of some of the leftovers, which I will be having for lunch today.

Braised Red Cabbage

I started out by cooking about 1/4 of a medium onion, all chopped up and over medium-low heat, in some olive oil. Then I added one medium-ish red cabbage that I had cored and shredded.

The liquid was about 3/4 cup of chicken broth, 1/4 cup of red wine, and 2 T. of red wine vinegar.

I let it cook, covered and on low, for about 20 minutes or so before I added the seasoning...1 teaspoon of caraway seed and salt and pepper. Then I covered it back up and let it simmer on low for another 20 minutes.

No picture but last night I had an Asian-themed salmon dish that was wonderful.

A friend's daughter had said that she didn't like my food blog because I didn't write the info in standard recipe format so, before I made the salmon, I grabbed a pen and paper and vowed to measure everything.

And, here is the result...

I decided to marinate the salmon in sauce and then just bake it. The marinade was made up of:

1/2 tsp. bottled chopped ginger (I'm sure fresh grated would only improve it)
1 T oyster sauce
1 T hoisin sauce
2 T tamari sauce
1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
2 T vegetable oil
1/2 tsp sesame seed oil

Mix it all up and pour over salmon fillets. Cover and let "steep" for at least an hour.

For the cooking, it was a 375 oven for 20-25 minutes.

Garnished with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Because some of the marinade stays on the fish, I decided to bump the points value of the salmon up by one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home