fontas food

eating my way through suburbia

Monday, August 23, 2004

After reading about rice-cooker congee on eGullet, I decided I'd give it a go. I haven't had congee since moving to California five years ago (believe me, I've asked for it too!) so was looking forward to the experiment.

I started out with 3/4 cup of uncooked basmati rice (3 points). That went into the rice cooker along with about 2 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of water. Then I just turned it on and left for a while.

After 30 minutes, I added some white pepper and some salt. I was out of the other things I would normally have added (like fresh ginger) so I decided to keep it simple and not add anything else (no meat or other ingredients).

The initial 3/4 cup of rice made 9 ladles-ful of congee.

For serving, I ladled two scoops into my bowl, topped with green onions, and some sambal olek.



After I took the picture, I decided to add some "krab" for an additional point. All told, this lunch set me back 3 points.

It wasn't as good as the congee at the Lakeview Restaurant in Burnaby (my favourite congee haunt) but, for a first attempt, it was pretty tasty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home